The Iowa Newspaper Foundation offers scholarships
for Iowa college students preparing for a career in the newspaper
industry. Students at any class level (college freshman through
senior in the fall of 2014) are encouraged to apply. Scholarship
awards typically range between $500 and $1,000.
Scholarship applications will be submitted online, saving applicants time and mailing costs.
Complete the online scholarship application. The application deadline is February 14, 2014.
If you are a high schoool or college guidance counselor
or principal, click
here for a poster you can display at your
school you encourage your students to apply for INF scholarships.
Scholarships to be awarded for the 2014-2015 academic
Carter Pitts Scholarships
The Le Mars Daily Sentinel funds an annual Carter Pitts scholarship in the amount of $500. The scholarship is named for the Daily Sentinel's longtime publisher/owner. The late Carter Pitts was also the first president of the Iowa Newspaper Foundation and the organization's first professional fundraiser.
In addition, the Carter Pitts Scholarship Endowment
Fund generates an annual scholarship. The amount of the award
will be determined in early 2014.
The Iowa Newspaper Foundation will award scholarships to Iowa students preparing for an Iowa newspaper career at in-state colleges or universities.
Funded by a contribution from Woodward Communications, Inc. An annual scholarship
award will go to a student studying journalism, communications, mass communications,
photojournalism, graphic design, marketing or public relations at a college
or university in Iowa, Illinois, or Wisconsin. The amount of each Woodward
scholarship will be based on fund earnings and will be determined in early
Funded by a contribution from Shaw Newspapers. An annual scholarship award will
go to an incoming college freshman preparing for a journalism or communications
career at an accredited two or four-year college or university in the United
States. Scholarships will be awarded to students who are dependents of men
or women who work for Iowa newspapers. The amount of each Shaw scholarship
will be based on fund earnings and will be determined in early 2014.
Iowa Journalism Institute
Funded by a contribution from Michael Gartner and Gary Gerlach of Des Moines
the IJI annually awards scholarships to up to two students enrolled in Iowa
State University’s Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication. These
scholarships are given in the name of the late David W. Belin, longtime business
partner of Gerlach and Gartner.
The balance of available IJI funds are used to
provide scholarships to students interested in community newspaper
careers and who are enrolled in an accredited undergraduate or
graduate program in newspaper journalism (or a closely related
field) at any college or university in the nation.
The amount of each Iowa Journalism Institute scholarship is based on IJI endowment
fund earnings and will be determined in early 2014.
• The INF Scholarship Committee, when reviewing applications, will consider all applications that qualify for each of the scholarships offered. It is not necessary to apply for a specific scholarship award.
• Application forms are sent to all high school guidance offices in Iowa and can also be obtained from the Iowa Newspaper Foundation.
• The postmark deadline for applications for 2014-2015 scholarships is
February 14, 2014. Awards will be announced before May 1, 2014. All applicants
notified by mail.
• Proceeds for all scholarships awarded by the Iowa Newspaper Foundation will be paid directly to the college or university. Each scholarship granted will be for the upcoming academic year and not on an ongoing basis. Students, however, may apply for and may qualify for scholarships in subsequent years.
• For more information, see your guidance counselor or contact the Iowa Newspaper Foundation at (515) 244-2145, ext. 159.
newspapers: Click here to download a promotional ad to run
in your newspaper.